Friday, August 15, 2008

Renaissance Woman...buh buh buh!

Okay, so I'm trying really hard to be a renaissance woman...which, if you get right down to it, I think qualifies all women from all eras. It's like we were made to be good at a gajillion different things...and I think THAT is probably more out of necessity than just because we want to.

I have recently made it through quite the poopy time in my life [i'm sure there will be more details to come] but as part of my healing process, I decided to pursue things. Like, whatever I want. I am like a super-pleaser, over-acheiver kind of gal who disguises herself as a "I don't need you to like me" kind of gal. That sucks. So, I'm trying to find the balance. All that to say, I don't usually try things unless I think I can be really good at them. Again, that sucks. Sooo, I decided to start learning to do whatever I feel like learning to do. I think photography is such a cool hobby. Currently, it's like the super cool, you're artsy and reflective and creative if you do it hobby, which really bugs my sister. We'll call her "Photography Queen [P.Q. for short]" because she is. She makes money taking pictures. She actually is artsy and reflective and creative. "But P.Q.," I say to her, "I really do like pictures. And I really do have a cool camera. And I think that we all like photography so much because we're fascinated with capturing God's fantastic creation."

Anyway, I have this really great camera. Granted, it's a moldy, oldy 35mm, but it's still fancy and takes beautiful pictures. I've had it for like 6 years and have never learned how to use it. I began to feel sorry for it...made for greatness and wasted on mediocre snapshots. Today I researched...learned a little about aperture, tried it out. These are the products. Keep in mind that I'm learning.

This is Belle - as in Southern, but Preacher Man thinks it's as in ...and the Beast. She is the best dog ever. She is my make-shift child. I'm sorry if you think that's pathetic. Truth be known, I think it's a little pathetic, too, but we're trying to be real here. In the first set of Belle photos, I have placed a treat upon the floor and commanded her to stay. Again, best dog ever. It's a low vs. high aperture set. I would say the top is muuuch better, right?


The following are more low vs. high ap Belle pics [I'll bet P.Q. would think I sounded really dorky b/c real photgraphers don't use terms like that]. Isn't she beautiful? The first is low ap, the second is high. Sadly, it's the only high ap that looked even a little displayable. High ap, evidently, is better for capturing details all across the board, FYI.





This is my Nana's ivy. Try and ignore the dead leaf. Actually, all the leaves should look like that. Mostly I ignore it. Anyway, the picture's kinda pretty, I think. Another low ap...sadly I don't really have a wide landscape to put a large ap to good use. Wah, wah. We'll have to save that for another time.

1 comments:

molly purvis photography said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.